Locking and unlocking layers
Locking a layer makes it easy to refer to information contained on the layer, but prevents you from accidentally modifying its entities. When a layer is locked (but visible and thawed), its entities remain visible, but you cannot edit them. If you lock the current layer, you can still add new entities to it. You can also change the linetype and color associated with a locked layer. Unlocking a layer restores full editing capabilities.
To lock or unlock layers
- Do one of the following:
In the Layer Name list, select the layers you want to lock or unlock.
Do one of the following:
- Choose Settings > Explore Layers.
- On the Settings toolbar, click the Explore Layers tool ().
- Type explayers and then press Enter.
- Choose View > Lock/Unlock.
- Right-click the layer name you want to change, and from the shortcut menu, select Properties and lock or unlock the layer.
- Click the setting in the Locked column.
The Locked column shows the new setting.
To complete the command and return to your drawing, close the window.
Tell me about...
Controlling layer printing
Controlling layer visibility
Creating and naming layers
Setting the current layer
Setting the layer color