Saving a drawing with a password
Sometimes drawings may contain confidential information and you want to control
who has access to that information. If you need an added level of security,
you can save a drawing with a password so only you and those who know the password
can open the drawing.
To save a drawing with a password, you must also save it in the AutoCAD 2004
drawing (.dwg) file format.
NOTE If you forget a drawing’s password, the drawing
cannot be opened or recovered. You may want to store all passwords in a safe
To save a drawing with a password
- Do one of the following:
- Choose File > Save As.
- Type saveas and then press Enter.
- In the Save Drawing As dialog box, under Save As Type, choose AutoCAD 2004
- Click Password Protect.
- Choose a folder where you want to save the drawing.
- In File Name, specify the name of the file you want to create.
- Click Save.
- In the Password dialog box, enter a password.
- If desired, record and store the password in a safe place. If you forget
the drawing’s password, the drawing cannot be opened or recovered.
- Click OK.